We will be continuing our quest to fill emergency shoe boxes for homebound seniors as part of Meals on Wheels. These packages will be distributed to Meals on Wheels clients for use in the event meals can’t be delivered due to bad weather or other emergency, and to others who need immediate food assistance. We are in need of shoe boxes and single servings of staple food items. Bring donations to Good Shepherd and we will pack the boxes together.
What should I bring?
Single servings of the following shelf stable food items should be selected. All
food must be in original manufacturing packaging, and should be heat sealed to
avoid insect access during storage. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept
homemade items, or food that has been reapportioned into smaller containers.
Please consider the sodium and sugar content, as well as the ease of opening
containers when making food selections, but anything you might enjoy eating
will most certainly also be enjoyed by our homebound friends.
- Single serve container(s) (box, can, or bottle) of 100% juice
- Singe serve canned, instant or shelf stable soup, stew, or casserole
- Canned meat or fish (tuna, ham, chicken)
- Individual serving(s) of shelf stable Milk
- Single serve cups or cans of fruits and vegetables
- Single serve cups of ready to eat pudding
- Single serve boxes of cold cereal or
- Single serve packets of instant hot cereal (oatmeal, cream of wheat)
- Single serve packets of dried fruits (raisins, prunes, etc)
- Single serve packets or small jar of peanut butter
- Single serve packets of crackers, cheese crackers, granola bars and/or snack bars
- You may also choose to add a treat or surprise like wrapped hard candy, hot chocolate packets, individually wrapped tea bags or coffee, individual packs of cookies, a puzzle, holiday napkins, or a word search or crossword puzzle book.
- Please be sensitive to the varied beliefs of our participants as you select the items or write notes of encouragement.