History

Good Shepherd is a faith community of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Delaware-Maryland Synod. For nearly 60 years we have represented a Word and Sacrament. We focus on reaching out to a challenging world with our gifts of time, talent and treasure. We are a welcoming place for those seeking an experience of God’s presence both in Word and Meal and one in one another. We value learning from the Scriptures and opportunity for fellowship with one another.  There is a strong sense of trying new things and an openness to change.  Membership is always evolving, but there is a feeling “family” as we care for each other and our community.

Following is a reverse chronology of historical events at Good Shepherd:

November 18, 2013: Pastor Mark Huffman called as pastor

August 16, 2013: Pastor Roland Hobbs called as interim pastor

June 1, 2012: Pastor Cary Moorman called as interim pastor

May 31, 2012:  Pastor Ron Reaves retires

April 2012:  Mortgage paid off!

2008:  Pastor Gary Bilbie (associate pastor) retires

1999:  Pastor Gary Bilbie called as associate pastor

1994:  Pastor Ron Reaves called as pastor

1993:  Pastor LaVern D. Rasmussen and Pastor Bruce Barth retire
Pastor Robert Ruble serves as interim

1989-1990:  Congregation approved purchase of pipe organ and remodeling worship space
Dedicated February 1991

1988:  Pastor Bruce Barth became associate pastor

1984:  Pastor LaVern D. Rasmussen called as pastor

1983:  Dr. Henry Snyder interim pastor for nine months

1982:  Second major fire – arson

1981:  Pastor Carroll L. Boyer resigned
Jurgen Hilke became interim pastor for 21 months

1974:  Major fire – arson

1969:  Mission Board repaid for loan
Parsonage sold

1961:  Kindergarten and preschool started

1958:  Church dedicated – September

1957:  Ground breaking on West Seventh Street

1955:  Purchased building on Motter Avenue, Sunday school held at three homes

1954:  February 14 – Church formally organized, named Good Shepherd
Worshiping in the Staley Park Field House

1953:  September – first service held at Hood College – 322 people attended

1953:  June – Board of American Missions approved a church for northwestern Frederick
Carroll L. Boyer called as mission developer
Board purchased parsonage on Biggs Avenue

(Thanks to Audrey Asbury for providing the information above!)